Technische Universität Berlin - Faculty IV - Institute of Telecommunication Systems
Research Assistant - salary grade E 13 TV-L Berliner Hochschulen
under the reserve that funds are granted; part-time employment may be possible
The selected candidates will have opportunities to work in an enriching interdisciplinary environment, with significant potential for broad impact in terms of technology development, industry involvement, and educational initiatives. They are expected to develop a PhD-level research activity around the topics of the TUB-Huawei Joint Innovation Center focused on innovative solutions for future Wireless Communication Systems beyond 5G. The candidate in the WJIC Projekt 5 will be co-supervised by Prof. Caire (Communications and Information Theory Group) and Prof. Demir (Remote Sensing Image Analysis Group). The research of the PhD candidate will aim at developing innovative Machine Learning Techniques (with a special focus on Deep Learning) for the Prediction of the Wireless Propagation Channel Characteristics. To this end, the Joint Use of Satellite Images and City Maps will be considered. The main topics include the development of Deep Neural Networks that:
1) Achieve multi-task (e.g., identification of trees, estimation of building heights, etc.) learning for an accurate prediction of radio maps.
2) Integrate multi-source/multi-sensor data and exploit the crowdsourced data (e.g., open street map tags) for the extraction of image semantic information;
3) Address the problems on incomplete, noisy and imbalanced training sets for semantic scene understanding.
The position is intended for a PhD thesis on a project related topic supervised by Prof. Caire and Prof. Demir.
Successfully completed university degree (Master, Diplom or equivalent) in Computer Science, Engineering or Mathematics. Research experience in Machine Learning for Image Analysis and Computer Vision. Excellent programming skills (e.g., python) with experience using Deep Learning libraries. Furthermore, candidates should have excellent English oral and written communication skills (proficiency in German is a plus).
How to apply:
Please send your application with the reference number and the appropriate documents (in a single pdf file, max 5 MB) only by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
By submitting your application via email you consent to having your data electronically processed and saved. Please note that we do not provide a guaranee for the protection of your personal data when submitted as unprotected file. Please find our data protection notice acc. DSGVO (General Data Protection Regulation) at the TU staff department homepage: https://www.abt2-t.tu-berlin.de/menue/themen_a_z/datenschutzerklaerung/ or quick access 214041.
To ensure equal opportunities between women and men, applications by women with the required qualifications are explicitly desired. Qualified individuals with disabilities will be favored. The TU Berlin values the diversity of its members and is committed to the goals of equal opportunities.
Technische Universität Berlin - Der Präsident - Fakultät IV, Institut für Telekommunikationssysteme, Prof. Caire, Sekr. HFT 6, Einsteinufer 25, 10587 Berlin
- a curriculum vitae, stating clearly and precisely their education history, earned degrees and previous academic institutions;
- letters of recommendation from academic advisors, MS thesis supervisors, academic instructors;
- published research work, including MS thesis in electronic form;
- a letter of motivation and purpose
- official grade transcripts with certified translation in English or German if the original documents are in a different language.